Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year from “200 Years”

Anne Mackay

I want to wish all of you a Happy New Year for 2012. 

2011 was a great year for me in genealogy, since that’s when I began my work.  I’ve had great success in the last 6 months in understanding where I come from and appreciating the world of my St Croix ancestors.  I think I’ve gathered all the “low hanging fruit”, but I know there is much left to find.  2012 will be a busy year.  Of course, the day-job gets in the way, but what are you going to do?

I’ve got quite a bit in store for 2012 for 200 Years.  This year I plan to devote several articles on discussing Danish West Indies records, discussing the kinds of records available and where they are located. I’ve already been through quite a few, so I’d like to discuss them before I forget.  Hopefully this will be useful for my genealogist cousins as well as any other researchers who are disappointed in the dearth of island information in the genealogical mainstream.

This Christmas I sent out a little gift for my family and thought it would be nice to share it.  It’s an interesting way to share research that won’t bore your family to tears. That’ll have to wait a bit because I’d like to make sure that everyone has gotten theirs before I ruin the surprise.  Hopefully next week.

I’d also like to post some of the wonderful photographs I have from Mom’s Treasure Box.  I’ve finished scanning about 1,400 pictures so I have a lot to wade through (and identify).  Most of them were taken by my grandfather and some are really good, both family and island history.

I’ve got some other surprises in store and I keep finding new things as I pore through the records.

Thank you for reading 200 Years in Paradise, and thank you for all the nice comments and emails I have received.  Comments are helpful because they help me understand what you are interested in reading and they help me improve the blog.

Oh, by the way.  In all my pictures there were only a couple Christmas pictures.  In fact, very few pictures were taken indoors.  (Perhaps my grandfather didn’t have a flash.)  The picture at the head of this post is not a family member, but one of my mother’s little friends, Anne McKay.  I just liked the picture so much that I wanted to share.  This was taken in the early 1940’s in Christiansted.

No comments:

Post a Comment